The YWCA of the City of New York (YW-NYC) is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all. We are a multiracial women’s social justice organization dedicated to addressing issues that emerge at the intersection of race, class and gender. Founded in 1858, the YW-NYC is the first YW in the United States and part of an international movement of YWs worldwide. We currently serve 1,500 New York City school children by providing leadership, STEAAM and advocacy training for young women citywide through our high school Girls Initiatives, and Out-of-School Time (OST) programs for elementary and middle school students in culturally diverse communities in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
The Senior Director of Development will be joining the organization during an exciting time of expansion and growth. Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Director will oversee and drive fundraising efforts in support of the annual growth plan. The successful candidate will be experienced in major donor fundraising, grant writing, events planning and strategic communications. In addition, the incumbent will be aligned with the YW-NYC’s overarching mission and bring a new level of creativity and innovation to the organization.
Essential Job Duties:
- Partner with the CEO and management team to drive strategic initiatives and support the development of the YW-NYC’s long-term growth plans, including:
o Plan and manage efforts to accomplish organizational fundraising goals, with a focus on securing increased revenue from corporate partnerships, foundations, government sources and major donors
o Increase the individual donor pool and identify new funding sources
o Analyze the nonprofit landscape and make recommendations based on emerging trends
o Build and maintain a comprehensive donor database
- Lead and manage all fundraising efforts for the YW-NYC through donor cultivation, target communications, direct gift solicitation, grant writing, and the deployment of public engagement strategies.
- Oversee YW-NYC’s visibility and exposure through social media platforms, written communications, and public relations activities
- Serve as the point person for current and potential donors, including major donors, corporations, government, and foundations
- Plan and execute the annual Salute fundraiser and other donor cultivation events
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications and supervise the agency’s communication strategies, including brand management, web content, newsletters, annual report, and presentations as needed
- Work alongside the CEO to represent and promote the organization to communities served, foundations, corporations, major donors, and other strategic partners
- Collaborate with senior program directors to identify funding opportunities for new initiatives and help articulate the value proposition of our programming to external audiences
- Lead and manage a team of associates and consultants
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10+ years of experience as a development professional with full understanding of how communications integrate with Development
- Proven experience in building relationships and articulating the needs of the communities we serve
- Experience in foundation research and grant writing
- Outstanding verbal, written and strategic planning skills
- Creative approach to problem-solving; familiarity with design thinking
- Possesses an entrepreneurial mindset; able to work both individually and as a member of the team
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and assignments from ideation to completion in a fast-paced environment
HQ Office Location: 50 Broadway
22nd Floor New York
New York 10004
HQ and Remote, as needed, during Covid-19
The position is Full-time and Exempt.
Benefits we offer:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- YWCA Retirement Plan
- 403(b) Plan
- Paid time off
- UNUM voluntary insurance (Additional Life, Life AD&D, Dep. Life)
- FSA and employer-funded HRA dollars to spend towards out-of-pocket health costs
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter that addresses your qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities outlined above, as well as your salary requirements, to HRConsult1@ywcanyc.org.
The YWCA of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer and contractor. We provide equal employment and contracting opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.