The YWCA of the City of New York (YW-NYC) is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. We are a multiracial women’s social justice organization dedicated to addressing issues that emerge at the intersection of race, class and gender. Founded in 1858, the YW-NYC is the first YW in the United States and part of an international movement of YWs worldwide. We currently serve 1,500 New York City school children by providing leadership and advocacy training for young women through our high school Girls Initiatives and Out-of-School Time (OST) programs for elementary and middle school students in culturally diverse communities in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Under the Program Director, the Assistant Director provides site-based leadership to a YW-NYC school-based OST program to support positive youth development and outcomes; meet the needs of families and the school community; and further YW-NYC’s mission to eliminate racism and empower women and girls.
A successful Assistant Director will: bring a positive youth development lens to the role; ensure compliance with all licensing and funder requirements; maintain program data and records; create systems to effectively manage program logistics and operations; hold themselves and others accountable for program results; and demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
Furthermore, in the 2020-21 school year, we anticipate programs will start off as a blended learning model, with some in-person and some virtual activities. There is a high possibility of programs transitioning to a complete virtual model during the winter season. Therefore, Assistant Directors must be able and willing to work in a virtual program. This will include actively participating in virtual team meetings; documenting all aspects of the program in shared systems; and implementing staff and student engagement strategies remotely.
- Draft regular communications for program stakeholders
- Assist in roll-out of curricula and other aspects of high-quality activities, utilizing both virtual and in-person facilitation
- Cover for staff absences by working directly with groups of students
- Maintain records needed for program administration, including daily student attendance
- Support program schedule development, staff attendance management, and other program structures
- With the Program Director, monitor compliance with SACC licensing, funder requirements and other government background compliance with staff
- Cultivate relationships with school principal, teachers, building staff, and families and be able to communicate and maintain relationships in a virtual/ remote environment through telephone, various telecommunicating platforms, through mail, etc.
- Serve as site-based office manager, ordering supplies and anticipating and meeting staff and program needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Related college-level coursework or School-Age Child Care credential
- 2+ years working in OST programs or other education/youth programs
- Knowledge of anti-racism and gender equity principles and practices
- Familiarity with NYC public schools and/or NYC DYCD programs
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and analytical ability
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a bonus
- Strong work ethic and professional values
- Commitment to promoting YW-NYC’s social justice mission and educational and youth development philosophy
The hours for this position will fluctuate depending on the needs of the school, general hours of operation can range anywhere from 10:30am – 7:30pm. The Assistant Director role requires occasional travel across New York City. The Assistant Director must be able to sit and stand for long stretches of time and use a computer and phone to communicate with staff and partners. Reasonable accommodations will be made if needed for candidates who can fulfil the essential functions of the job.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and a cover letter that addresses your qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities outlined above, as well as your salary requirements, to Resume-HR@ywcanyc.org.
Benefits we offer: Eligibility requirement rules apply
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- YWCA Retirement Plan
- 403(b) Plan
- Paid time off
- UNUM Voluntary insurance (Additional Life, Life AD&D, Dep. Life)
- FSA and employer funded HRA dollars to spend towards out of pocket health costs
The YWCA of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer and contractor. We provide equal employment and contracting opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.