Statement of the Job:
The Assistant Cook shall perform his/her general duties under the supervision of the director, and when assigned to food service responsibilities, under the supervision of the cook. The helper performs functions related to housekeeping, food service and the maintenance and distribution of supplies. In addition, the helper is expected to accept training related to food preparation and cooking so that he/she may substitute for the cook when agreed or when required (emergency).
- Previous related experience in housekeeping and food service.
- Ability to read and write in order to follow written work schedules. Ability to keep simple inventory of supplies on hand and as needed.
- Friendly, cheerful personality and ability to maintain cooperative relationships with other staff, children, parents and visitors of the center.
- Ability to maintain sanitary work and personal habits.
- Good health, including current chest X-ray annual physical examinations after employment.
A. Follows individual work schedule provided by the director to indicate specific responsibilities and the time scheduled for them.
B. Cooperates in total staff effort designed to improve the center’s service.
- Participates in periodic individual conferences and regular staff meetings as scheduled by the director. These will be called when changes are planned in the children’s program, which affect the helper so that discussions and suggestions for improving the services may be shared between the director and staff. Such meetings will also be called when policy or changes are to be made affecting budgetary needs for food and supplies or rearrangement of space. Participation in staff parties and attendance in parents’ meeting are also encouraged as a means of promoting a feeling of total staff unity and providing opportunities for informal exchanges of information between parents and total staff.
A. Food and Meal Service.
- Assist cook in preparing food as needed.
- Arrange tables for lunch and snack times, in accordance with the needs of the children’s groups.
- Distribute dishes, cutlery and food to children’s groups.
- Perform cleaning tasks such as sanitizing children’s sinks and tables.
- Clean eating areas before and after lunch and snack times.
- Wash dishes and utensils according to sanitary practices.
- Care for cleaning equipment used.
C. Records and Supplies:
- Keep inventory of and distribute sanitary supplies.
- Inform director of needed sanitary and cleaning supplies and needed repairs and replacement of cleaning equipment.
D. Other related duties, as assigned, consistent with above.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The YWCA of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer. No employee or applicant shall be discriminated against because of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, alien status, citizenship status, age, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability that can be reasonably accommodated, or any other classification protected by law.
How to Apply:
Please forward a cover letter and resume to Resume3@ywcanyc.org and indicate the title of the position in the Subject Line.