The YWCA of the City of New York (YW-NYC) is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. We are a social justice organization dedicated to addressing issues that emerge at the intersection of race, class and gender. Founded in 1858, the YW-NYC is the first YW in the United States and part of an international movement of YWs worldwide. We currently serve 1,500 New York City school children by providing leadership and advocacy training for young women through our high school Girls Initiatives and Out-of-School Time (OST) programs for elementary and middle school students in diverse communities in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
The Senior Director, Out-of-School Time Programs is responsible for overseeing the implementation of high-quality OST programs that support positive youth development aligned with YW-NYC’s mission. The Senior Director will supervise OST Program Directors (currently at six sites citywide), providing professional development, coaching, and strategic oversight to ensure programs are effective and run in compliance with all licensing and funder requirements. This position will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
A successful Senior Director will: bring a positive youth development lens to the role; prioritize, delegate and manage complex tasks effectively; implement systems and structures to provide exemplary coaching to Program Directors; hold themselves and others accountable for program results; and demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
Furthermore, in the 2020-21 school year, we anticipate programs will be virtual or delivered in a blended learning model, with some in-person and some virtual activities. Therefore, the Senior Director must be a skilled manager and communicator who can lead the OST team remotely. This might include effectively facilitating meetings by videoconference; using shared documents to collaborate and track information; conducting virtual program observations; and training staff to use curricula and instructional approaches that are adapted to virtual programming.
- Manage all aspects of OST programs including program design, development, implementation and assessment.
- Design and oversee delivery of professional development experiences for Program Directors and Assistant Directors including but not limited to onboarding, pre-service orientation, in-service training, coaching, peer mentoring and shadowing opportunities.
- Conduct regular site visits, providing structured feedback to Program Directors and line staff.
- Create and oversee systems to track and analyze student data (attendance, academic performance, social/emotional development); lead continuous improvement efforts.
- Identify and vet high-quality enrichment curricula; support Program Directors to implement curricula with fidelity.
- Develop and maintain relationships with school and community partners.
- Ensure programs and staff performance align with the organization’s mission and performance standards.
- Represent YW-NYC in coalitions, affinity groups, and other meetings and events.
- Oversee comprehensive family engagement strategy including communication methods, parent workshops and meetings.
- Facilitate weekly Program Director meetings, establishing clear meeting objectives and documenting program successes, needs, and next steps.
- Work with Program Directors and school partners to hire and train line staff.
- Oversee grants administration required by contracts including evaluation, grant reporting, budget management and Human Resources documentation.
- Collaborate with the Development Department on fundraising initiatives to enhance programming.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- 7+ years leading OST programs or other education/youth programs
- Deep knowledge of anti-racism and gender equity principles and practices
- Ability to balance extreme attention to detail with a visionary approach to leadership
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and analytical ability
- Strong computer skills; including using databases and developing presentations
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a bonus
- Strong work ethic and professional values
- Commitment to promoting YW-NYC’s social justice mission and educational and youth development philosophy
- Ability and willingness to travel citywide
This is a full-time, exempt position. The Senior Director role requires regular travel across New York City and occasional travel outside of the city (e.g., attending a conference). The Senior Director must be able to sit and stand for long stretches of time depending on assigned projects and use a computer and phone to communicate with staff and partners. Reasonable accommodations will be made if needed for candidates who can fulfil the essential functions of the job.
HQ Location: 50 Broadway, 22nd Floor, NY, NY 10004
Benefits we offer:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- YWCA Retirement Plan
- 403(b) Plan
- Paid time off
- UNUM Voluntary insurance (Additional Life, Life AD&D, Dep. Life)
- FSA and employer funded HRA dollars to spend towards out of pocket health costs
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter that addresses your qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities outlined above, as well as your salary requirements, to Resume-HR@ywcanyc.org.
The YWCA of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer and contractor. We provide equal employment and contracting opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.