The YWCA of the City of New York (YW-NYC) is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. We are a multiracial women’s social justice organization dedicated to addressing issues that emerge at the intersection of race, class and gender. Founded in 1858, the YW-NYC is the first YW in the United States and part of an international movement of YWs worldwide. We currently serve 1,500 New York City school children by providing leadership and advocacy training for young women through our high school Girls Initiatives and Out-of-School Time (OST) programs for elementary and middle school students in culturally diverse communities in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
The Human Resource Assistant will be joining the organization at an exciting time during which we are looking to expand and grow under a new CEO. The position plays a key role in providing top notch administrative and project support to the Head of Human Resources at our HQ office (currently remote due to Covid-19). The ideal candidate is detail-orientated, an effective problem solver and a self-starter.
This position will report directly to the Human Resources Manager. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Update the company organization charts and the employee directory
- Assisting with recruitment efforts for all exempt and nonexempt personnel
- Assisting with new-employee orientations and onboarding
- Organizing HR files and personnel documents (both in office and on Sharepoint)
- Preparing reports to support human capital data trends for both internal and external parties
- Special projects, ad hoc requests
- Complying with all existing governmental and labor legal and government reporting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, worker compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), etc.
- Verifying accuracy of benefit enrollment, benefit changes, etc.
- Assistance with updating insurance brokers/providers with any new hires/ enrollments, status changes, and terminations as they pertain to benefit eligibility
- Compiling required non-discrimination reports for benefit plans as needed
- Liaising with audit teams on issues related to HR, staffing, payroll and benefits
- Maintaining confidentiality of employee records and information
- Ensuring compliance with state and federal laws, including COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA, ERISA, and applicable postings
- Assist with updating the Paylocity payroll system (HR platform, benefits info, etc.)
- Verify pay for employees and accrual benefits for new hires, terminations, and/or other separation including vacation accrual, bonus payouts, and any other payroll adjustments
- Managing vendor relationships with IT Tech support and phone support (Nextiva); coordinating and managing the onboarding of new hires and terminated employees. (phone line connections, equipment tracking/ return)
- Managing IT issues by providing first line of support
- Supporting BTQ financial (outsourced finance team) in various requests including and not limited to audits
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of two years in the field of human resources
- Strong interpersonal skills both verbal and written
- Self-motivated, able to work well independently and take initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team
- Flexible, organized, and dependable with excellent problem-solving skills
- Able to manage multiple competing priorities
- Proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong passion for YW-NYC’s mission and growth
Position is temporary, Non-Exempt.
HQ Location: 50 Broadway, 22nd Floor, NY, NY 10004
Benefits we offer:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- YWCA Retirement plan
- 403(b) Plan
- Paid time off
- UNUM Voluntary Insurance (additional Life, Life AD&D, Dep.Life)
- FSA and employer funded HRA dollars to spend toward out-of-pocket health costs
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter that addresses your qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities outlined above, as well as your salary requirements, to Resume-HR@ywcanyc.org
The YWCA of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer and contractor. We provide equal employment and contracting opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.